KELLOID AND HYPERTROPHIC SCARS
What are treatment options for keloid?
Unfortunately, keloids are 1 of the most unpredictable and tricky for treatment conditions. Trauma from treatment may induce more keloid tissues to grow.
- sterod injections into keloid to reduce inflamation and shrink the size
- restriction of movement of the keloid by bands, silicone gel pads etc
- moisturizers to keep the keloid tissue soft
- freezing the tissue with Liquid Nitrogen to reduce the tissue and kill growing cells
- 5FU is still considered experimental and review results of efficacy is pending (more info here )
- IMM topical application – the prescription only medication (can’t disclose to public the full name to comply with Australian legislation). The medication modifies immune system and used to shrink in size and kill cells in non-aggressive tumors like BCC, actinic keratosis and genital warts. Such treatment is still off label in nature and we don’t have enough data on it’s efficacy.
Earlier treatment started, better prognosis will be.
Please, do not delay to see a cosmetic doctor for the keloid scar, if you suspect you have one. Although we have experience in treating keloid even years after it appeared, VISTA Clinic Melbourne can’t emphasize enough to seek doctor’s advice early.
Keloid and hypertrophic scars occur after the injury is healed and are types of raised scars. Keloid scars keep growing weeks and months after the healed wound.
What is the cause of keloid of hypertrophic scar?
Anything what can cause a scar, can cause keloid – cut, burn, acne, vaccination, tattoo, chickenpox, ear piercing. Keloids are often genetically determined and more pronounced on the areas with more movement.
who more prone to keloids formation:
-people of Asian descent
-people of Latin descent
-under 30 years old.
Can it self improve?
once formed, keloid scars are permanent. Unfortunately, even months and years later, scars still can grow. Our Melbourne clinic and none of experienced cosmetic doctor observed cases of self improvement of keloid scars. Usually, it’s the other way around – the tissues keep growing as time goes by.
What are symptoms of keloid?
keloids are self- diagnosed usually – most of our Melbourne clinic patients ask keloid scar treatment when call. It’s basically overgrowth of scar tissue.
- lumpy or ridged area above the scar, raised.
- red or pink color (also means it would respond to the treatment best)
- continue growing over the injury with time
- itchiness around the injury site.
Keloid scar is larger than the wound itself.
It’s not only cosmetic concern, keloid scar can be irritating and restricting to movements. Keloid can darken under the sun, what makes it more noticable. Sun protection is usually recommended.
Any growing lesion on your body needs to be checked by doctor to exclude cancer.
regular brightening peels, skin tightening, rosacea, ok during summer.
SKIN TYPE: all
- “Glow” was the most common feedback after 1st peel (please, note it can peel of old dry skin if not done regular - so, allow few days downtime 1st time)
- Natural peel derived from almonds - therefore not lasting long time, we supply 4 weeks supply at a time.
- Effect on skin tightening, collagen stimulation, brightening and antibacterial.
- If irritation, burn, concerns - stop and contact us.
Lactic Acid Peel
BEST FOR: aged skin, lack of moisture and excess old skin.
SKIN TYPE: dry, dull, rough and sun damage skin. Ideal for aging skin
Lactic (milk) acid is a natural pro-biotic, moisturiser and cleanser of dead skin.
Usually advised after "training" skin with mandelic acid as a next level up for aging, excessive, dull skin, not prone to rosacea or irritation.
Regular use prepares skin to better aging, more effecting in-clinic procedures, especially any skin quality treatments.
No or minimal downtime, visible reduces pores, wrinkles, helps skin health and cell turnover.
BEST FOR: the strongest peel for home use.
SKIN TYPE: well prepared skin, dull, sun damaged, pigmented.
- Combination of acids for multi-factorial addressing of different skin problems.
- Recommended to use after prepared skin and during the winter.
- Improves smoothness of the skin, pigmentation, scars, pores, inflammation.
- Provide a course supply ( 3-4 weeks every 2 weeks or as tolerated).
Recommended after aesthetician consultation to ensure safety and best plan.